You’ve come to San Jose to have fun. Along with our world-class events and programming, many of our guest choose to contribute to the convention’s nightlife by hosting room parties.
The fourth floor of the Marriott is our “party floor”, space for guests to put together their own events. On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night, we bring the convention to your doorstep — opening the floor up to badged attendees.
Note: Party Floor rooms must be booked for the entire convention (Thursday check-in to Monday check-out).
Demand for the party floor is high, so we have a special process to secure a spot. Please read this section carefully if you’re thinking of hosting a party.
To apply, you have two options:
|Option 1 (Recommended)
Book your hotel room as a regular attendee at the Marriott.
After making a reservation, apply here to have your reservation transferred to the party floor.
(If you are not accepted to the party floor, you’ll still have a regular hotel reservation to fall back on.)
Apply directly to the party floor without holding an existing reservation.
If we accept your application, we’ll work with you to create a new reservation — even if the general block is sold out.
(If you are not accepted, you will not have a hotel reservation.)
For most guests, we recommend that you use Option 1, and book your hotel room as a regular guest — then apply to have your room transferred to the party floor. Many room types sell out fast, so this is the only way to guarantee a room.
In either case, once you’re ready to submit a party floor application, click the button below. Approval is at the convention’s discretion, though we do give precedence to earlier applications. We will notify you via email if your application is approved.
Party Floor Applications for FC2018 will open August 1, 2017! Click Here to Apply!
Important: Submitting a party-floor application does not guarantee you a spot in the party floor. We will review all applications, and will notify you of your approval status as soon as possible.
Party Floor Rules
The party floor is considered convention space and is included within our contract with the hotel. This official policy aims to clarify how the party floor works, what you can expect from other people on the floor, and from Further Confusion’s staff:
- THE NUMBER ONE RULE – Further Confusion has a zero tolerance policy regarding the possession, use, sale or distribution of illegal substances. Any violation of this rule at a party will result in the party being shut down. There will be no exceptions! Violators may be subject not only to expulsion from the convention, but also to the Hotel’s rules regarding illicit activity, which may include expulsion from the hotel and/or the contacting of appropriate authorities.
- THE NUMBER TWO RULE – Making alcohol available to those under the age of 21 years is strictly prohibited. The party host shall be responsible for carding anyone drinking alcohol. “I didn’t know they weren’t 21” is not a justifiable excuse if someone under 21 years old is seen drinking alcohol. We have found that marking, banding, any other one-time verification is not sufficient, can be falsified, and a legal-aged drinker can be used as a runner for drinks. Hosts must maintain control of access to alcohol available in their parties. If an underaged drinker obtains a drink while you were not looking, you are still responsible. If an under-aged drinker enters your party with alcohol from another party, you have become responsible.
- Smoking/Vaping (of any substance) is strictly prohibited In rooms or on balconies! – Hotel Policy strictly prohibits this! Remember, your room is your responsibility, so make sure your guests are aware and be prepared to direct them to a designated smoking area.
- Party Floor rooms must be booked for the entire convention (Thursday check-in to Monday check-out)
- Know where ConOps is, and how to reach them by phone and foot. They can put you in touch with the Party Maven (for most issues), or convention security (FLARE) for health and safety issues.
- Selling drinks is not allowed! Selling tickets, suggested donations, or any form of upcharge is equivalent to selling your drinks. A voluntary donation box is allowed.
- Please be aware of any guest who may be drinking excessively to the point that they may become a danger to themselves, others, or hotel property. Be aware of any non-threatening but disruptive behavior such as excessive yelling. Guests who cannot continue to function in a socially acceptable manner may face action from FLARE or hotel security.
- On Friday and Saturday nights there are no private parties allowed on the party floor. If you wish to have a private party (one that is exclusive only to a select group) please plan it for Thursday or Sunday night.
- Public parties are off-limits to non-convention attendees. Convention membership badges (day passes are OK) must be visible on each person. Upon the request of any convention executive staff member, the Party Maven, FLARE member, or hotel staff member, all persons in a party must show ID and/or their membership badge as requested. Executive staff and FLARE members can be identified by specially marked convention badges.
- The party host will be responsible for any damage to the room or hotel property within the room. You should report any damage to hotel property to the convention as soon as possible.
- Under no circumstances may you tamper with, disable, or otherwise impair the function of smoke detectors or air vents in the room. Doing so is a serious safety infraction that endangers the entire hotel. If they are tampered with in any way, the party will be shut down and hotel security will be notified, which may mean ejection from the hotel.
- Hosts and party attendees must follow directives of FLARE, hotel staff, convention executive staff, and the Party Maven. If you have issue with any of the directions, please follow them first, and then take it up with the FC’s Hotel Liaison or the convention Chairman later.
- We greatly encourage you to make use of the convention theme for your parties, although it is not required.
- Enjoy your music but please remember: These are parties, not sound system contests. Please keep in mind that volume and excessive booze doesn’t necessarily make a good party, but creativity and variety will make your party stand out above all.
- Music must be turned down no later than 12:00am. Even before then, music cannot be so loud that a person cannot hold a normal conversation. The Party Maven, FLARE, Executive on duty and Hotel staff have the final say on what is considered too loud.
- Speakers cannot be placed outside a hotel room (either on balconies, or in the hallway)
- Before the convention, please send the dates and times of public parties to email@example.com. This helps us arrange room assignments so you can advertise ahead of time.
- The party host must be physically present at all times during their party, or inform the Party Maven of a replacement (over 21 years old) if you wish to leave the party floor area.
- During non-party hours, rooms on the party floor will be considered as regular guest rooms in the hotel with all rights and privileges for privacy.
- Last but not least, have a great party! This policy only applies to situations where the hotel or convention feels the need to step in. Otherwise, we have a very hands-off policy for parties, and don’t want to be in anyone’s way of a good time.
If you have any questions or comments regarding Further Confusion Party Floor policies, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.